X-Win32 from Starnet Communications is the software which C&CZ recommends to run X11 software on your MS Windows PC, simply put: to make an X-terminal of your PC. Because the latest versions of X-Win32 (See also install drive) have SSH built in, it is no longer difficult to create a secure X-Windows connection.
According to the license agreement, anybody from the science faculty is allowed to copy and install X-Win32. X-Win32 can be installed on any PC, as long as the IP number starts with 131.174 or the server to which one connects has an IP_number that starts with 131.174. This implies that home use is possible.
Settings and usage
After X-Win32 has been installed, X-Win32 has to be configured by running X-Config (click Start -> Programs -> X-Win32 9.0 -> X-Config). Some examples:
- To open a single xterm window on a loginserver like lilo or stitch tunneled through a secure channel enter the command /usr/bin/xterm.
In the video (ip smart) is selected to be able to use X-Win32 at home. [Video show/hide]
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: lilo Host name: lilo.science.ru.nl (or stitch.science.ru.nl) Command: /usr/bin/xterm Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Default
Display -> Select (ip smart)
- To mimic an X-terminal with a secure connection to a loginserver: [Video show/hide]
'Loginserver' must be replaced by:
- for employees/students: lilo.science.ru.nl (or stitch.science.ru.nl)
- for administrative users: bb.dbf.kun.nl
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: 'Loginserver' Host name: 'Loginserver' Command: /usr/local/X11/etc/xinitrc Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Switch to single
- To start an FNWI administrative application like aos tunneled through a secure channel: [Video show/hide]
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: aos Host name: lilo.science.ru.nl Command: /usr/local/bin/aos Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Default