X-Win32 from Starnet Communications is the software which C&CZ recommends to run X11 software on your MS Windows PC, simply put: to make an X-terminal of your PC. Because the latest versions of X-Win32 (See also install drive) have SSH build in, it is no longer difficult to create a secure X-Windows connection.
According to the license agreement, anybody within the science faculty is allowed to copy and install X-Win32. X-Win32 can be installed on any PC, as long as the IP number starts with 131.174. This implies that home use is not possible, except when using the C&CZ or RU VPN-service.
Settings and usage
After X-Win32 has been installed, X-Win32 has to be configured by running X-Config (click Start -> Programs -> X-Win32 6.1 -> X-Config). Some examples:
- To open a single xterm window on a loginserver like solo (for employees), solost (for students) or lilo (in this case enter the command /usr/bin/xterm because this is a Linux machine, for employees and students) tunneled through a secure channel. In the video (ip smart) is selected to be able to use X-Win32 at home. [Video show/hide]
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: solo Host name: solo.science.ru.nl (solost.science.ru.nl) Command: /usr/local/X11/bin/xterm Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Default
Display -> Select (ip smart)
- To gain secure access to one of the loginservers: [Video show/hide]
'Loginserver' must be replaced by:
- for employees: solo.science.ru.nl
- for students: solost.science.ru.nl
- for administrative users: bb.dbf.kun.nl
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: 'Loginserver' Host name: 'Loginserver' Command: /usr/local/X11/etc/xinitrc Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Switch to single
- To start an FNWI administrative application like aos tunneled through a secure channel: [Video show/hide]
Sessions -> Manual... Connect Method: SSH Session name: aos Host name: solo.science.ru.nl Command: /usr/local/bin/aos Session Flags: Auto Start Window Mode: Default