Configuring a PPTP VPN connection in Linux
To configure a PPTP VPN connection in Linux you need at least the following:
- Read science.ru.nl instead of sci.kun.nl. Pictures are before the DNS rename!!!
- An internet connection
- A provider with GRE support (default)
- A cabel/ADSL router (if applicable) with GRE support (default)
- A username and password
PPTP VPN in openSuSE 11.1
- Install the "pptp" package using YaST
- Become root using the "su" command
- Create a ppp0 interface with the following command:
/usr/sbin/pptpsetup --create radboud --server vpn-srv.science.ru.nl --username USERNAME --encrypt --start
- For each website that you want to access through VPN give a "route" command. E.g., for access to www.sciencedirect.com:
/sbin/route add -net www.sciencedirect.com netmask 255.255.255.255 dev ppp0
- To use the Windows Terminal Server:
/sbin/route add -net ts2.b-fac.ru.nl netmask 255.255.255.255 dev ppp0
- The configuration file /etc/ppp/options contains by default "idle 600". A VPN connection is disconnected if it is idle for 600 seconds
- Use /sbin/ifconfig to check wether the ppp0 interface exists
- Use /usr/sbin/traceroute www.sciencedirect.com to check wether VPN is used for access to this site
- To use VPN for all connections see:
PPTP VPN in openSuSE 11.2
- Click on the network manager in in the systemtray and select 'manage connections'.
- Open the tab that says 'VPN' and click add > pptp.
- Fill in a connection name, for example 'Radboud'.
- Gateway is vpn-srv.science.ru.nl.
- Username and password are your standard for the science.ru.nl domain.
- (The IP address tab should say 'Configure: Automatic (VPN)'.)
- Click the 'advanced' button and enable 'use MPPE encryption'.
- Click 'ok' everywhere to close the menus. The vpn connection is now configured and should be available in the
list of the network manager in the system tray.
PPTP VPN in openSuSE 11.4 (tested for gnome)
- Make sure the NetworkManager is running. If there is no "NetworkManager notification" in the panel start it:
- The NetworkManager must be started by root, open a terminal and enter:
To start it automatically upon booting use the setup tool YaST and select:
System - /etc/sysconfig Editor -- Network --- General ---- NETWORKMANAGER YES
Messages from the NetworkManager can be found in /var/log/NetworkManager
- Click on the Network Manager in the panel and select
VPN Connections - Configure VPN
- In the "VPN" tab click "Add"
- Select "Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol" and click "Create"
- Choose a connection name, for example 'Science Radboud'.
- Enter "Gateway: " vpn-srv.science.ru.nl
- Optionally provide "User name: " (FNWI/science, not the one of your RU account).
- You may also already provide your "Password: ".
- Select: Use POint-to-Point encryption (MPPE)
- Click 'ok'