Work from home - Faculty of Science
See also the working from home page provided by the central it service centre.
User webmail or your local e-mail client. See Email.
See: How to get access to the University Library (when you are off campus).
BASS can only be accessed directly from the campus network or through VPN (from any given Internet location). Note however that from a small part of the subnets at the Faculty of Science, direct access to BASS is not possible. These subnets are the ones with a lot of servers that can be accessed from the Internet.
When using an up-to-date firefox or chrome browser, you may notice an error about TLS 1.2 not being supported, you will need to tell your firefox to use the older protocols.
Files on network discs
There are two ways to access your network files:
- Establish a VPN connection and access network shares like you would normally do
- Use an SCP (Secure Copy) client to connect to an SSH login server.
Linux Login Server / Cluster
- Conference calls: https://conferencecall.nl
- Video conferencing: https://videobelpilot.surf.nl/ (Log in via surfconext when starting a channel, invited users don't need any login, a password is optional)
C&CZ helpdesk and postmaster
You can ask for help in the usual way and more:
- e-mail for questions about desktops, account problems, working from home
- e-mail for questions about linux systems, cluster, and more
- by phone (we will try to be reachable) on the usual numbers +31 24 3620000 (helpdesk) +31 24 3653535 (postmaster)
- via discord cncz-discord
Remote Desktop on your own PC (last resort!)
In some cases, there is no alternative to working on your work PC. However this should be a last resort and not to be used all the time. It puts the most strain on the VPN service and it requires the PC to have a permanent IP address, which is not the common situation.
If you really need this, please send e-mail to with the following information:
- who is maintaining the PC? You, C&CZ or ISC
- hostname or ip address of your PC
Sometimes additional information like room number and outlet number helps to resolve ambiguities
- the username you use to login to the PC (in case PC is managed by C&CZ)
- reason why you need it (we may have alternatives you haven't thought of)
In order to use Remote desktop you need to: