SSH Secure Shell
SSH is used to get a secure terminal-connection to a login server. All Linux loginservers can be reached with SSH client software, not only on the standard port 22, but also on ports 80 and 443.
Recommended ssh client software:
- MobaXterm. From the MobaXterm website: "MobaXterm is an enhanced terminal for Windows with an X11 server, a tabbed SSH client and several other network tools for remote computing (VNC, RDP, telnet, rlogin). MobaXterm brings all the essential Unix commands to Windows desktop, in a single portable exe file which works out of the box." The support of OpenGL could also be a reason to start using MobaXterm. If you use it professionally, you should consider subscribing to MobaXterm Professional Edition. MobaXterm is available on the S-disc.
- The OpenSSH client provided by Cygwin.
- Linux: Your computer should have ssh installed by default. Otherwise, install the openssh-client package.
- OS X: the ssh client should be available on your Mac.
- Android: JuiceSSH or ConnectBot.
Recommended file transfer clients: