Ricoh Multifunctionals (Copiers/Printers/Scanners)
For the Faculty of Science this means:
- All Oce copiers are replaced by Ricoh machines. There are not only be black-and-white machines, four of them are color machines. Of course these have the advantage that they can produce color output, but disadvantages are that they are slower and without intent can produce expensive color output.
- Copying: To make copies one has to use the well-known Xafax-cards. A printjob will wait automatically until a copy job is finished. But if one copies several single sheets, each sheet is treated as a separate copy job, so a print job can come between them. We tested that the print costs are NOT charged to the Xafax copy card. The price of the Xafax-cards doesn't change. There are a lot of options when copying: in gray scale, in color, A4, A3, enlarge, shrink, etc. An instruction sheet with the most used options is present next to the machine. To make a copy, the amount of money on the copy card must be sufficient to pay for the most expensive copy, which means at least 12 units. If it is less and one has a new copy card, one can transfer the money to the Xafax cardreader and then use the new Xafax card. The money on the two cards then is added together. The number of copy units that is subtracted from the card (1 unit = Eur 0,0046) is:
| black/white | color ---+-------------+---------- A4 | 1 unit | 5 units A3 | 4 units | 12 units
- Printing: The price of printing (color or black-and-white) doesn't change at the moment, neither on the older HP or Xerox nor on the new Ricoh-printers.
- Scanning: Scanning is free. There are a lot of options for color, size, resolution, output format (tiff or pdf). It is advised to e-mail the scanned output to oneself, by choosing the e-mail option and then manual input for the e-mail address. It is also possible to put the scanned output file directly in ones homedirectory, but this is more cumbersome since the disk (\\server\login), the loginnname and the password have to be keyed in. Do not forget to use the Clear key in order to let the machine forget the password.
- Service: A Ricoh maintenance employee is present on campus, so problems should be solved relatively quick. When people have some experience with the Ricoh machines, we will organise instructional meetings.