Network disk on Windows
To map a network share
- Right click on "Start" and choose "Windows Explorer".
- Windows 7: Select "My Computer" and click "Map network drive..." on the menu bar.
- Windows XP: Under "Tools" click "Map Network Drive...".
- Choose a free "Drive" letter (e.g. the one suggested by Windows).
- Enter as "Folder:" a path name of the form '\\servername\sharename' and click "Finish".
For example the S-Disk with a lot of standard software can be mapped as \\sdisk.science.ru.nl\xpsoftware
On a PC or laptop not maintained by C&CZ it is convenient to use the same login name on the PC as the science login name, because Windows will try to use the local login name to make the connection. In other cases one should select 'Connect using a different user name'.
Network disk on a Mac
To connect to a network share on a Mac:
- Activate the Finder for example by clicking somewhere on the Desktop.
- Under the "Go" menu choose "Connect to Server..." (or type Command-K).
- Specify the share name as 'smb://servername/sharename' and click "Connect".
- Use a valid science login name and password to authenticate.
For example the S-Disk with a lot of standard software can be mapped as smb://sdisk.science.ru.nl/xpsoftware
- In general you need to know the server name and share name to connect to a network disk.
- Most network disks are available directly from within the Radboud University (i.e. from IP addresses in the range 220.127.116.11/16). From outside the RU use a Vpn tunnel to connect to a network disk.
- A number of network disks or shares are available for science users:
- Your science home directory - the server and share name can be found on dhz.science.ru.nl after "Home disk at". The server name is one of 'bundle.science.ru.nl', 'pile.science.ru.nl' or 'pluri.science.ru.nl'. The share name is always the same as your science login name.
- The S-disk with a lot of standard, readily executable software - server: sdisk.science.ru.nl, share: xpsoftware.
- The install share with most of the installer programs for software with a campus license (contact us for license details) - server: install-srv.science.ru.nl, share: install.
- Most printers are also connected via this mechanism - server: printer-srv.science.ru.nl, share: the name of the printer.
- Example for Windows: '\\printer-srv.science.ru.nl\gray'
- On a Mac the login name and password must be included in the path name unfortunately, like this: 'smb://username:/gray'