Faculty of Science address book in Outlook/Thunderbird/Squirrel
- In Outlook choose Tools->Email Accounts
- Next select "Add a new directory or address book" and click on "Next"
- Select "Internet Directory Service (LDAP)" and click on "Next"
- Fill in server name: ldap1.science.ru.nl and click on "More Settings"
- Select the Tab Search and fill in as search base: o=addressbook
- click on "OK", subsequentlty on "Next" and finally on "Finish"
- Close Outlook and start it again.
You can now search in this address book but a more convenient construction is the following: start a new mail message and fill in part of the name in the "To:" field and press "Control-K". A list of names will popup that match the typed text, choose the name you were looking for.
Unfortunately Outlook stops searching the address books as soon as it has a match in one address book. This implies that if LDAP is the second address book and you have a contact that matches in your personal address book you will not get results from the LDAP address book. In that case only explicitly searching in the LDAP address book will work, you can add the found results to you personal address book so the next time it will find it there.
- In Thunderbird choose Tools->Address Book
- Next choose from the menu File -> New -> Ldap Directory ...
- Choose a Name: for example FNWI
- Hostname: ldap1.science.ru.nl
- Base DN: o=addressbook
- In the Advanced tab you can change the maximum number of returned matches (default is 100)
- Close by clicking "OK"
- To turn on Autocompletion for the LDAP address book, choose in "Preferences" the "Composition" Tab
- Then in Addressing check Autocompletion for the Directory Server (Choose FNWI in the drop down menu)
subsequently as soon as you start typing a name in a "To:" field a list with possible matches will popup from your own address book AND the LDAP address book.
If you want to search multiple LDAP servers then there is a Thunderbird plugin [Multi LDAP Enabler] that makes autocompletion possible from multiple LDAP servers.
[nl] In squirrel.science.ru.nl is het LDAP adresboek