Quote from the GitLab website
GitLab is an incredibly powerful open source code collaboration platform, git repository manager, issue tracker and code reviewer.
Our gitlab service is facing the public internet. Meaning you don't need to make use of a VPN tunnel to use it.
You'll see two login options:
- Science login - for students and employees of the Science Faculty. Use your Science login.
- Standard - for external users.
Since projects are usually not restricted to employees or students of the Science Faculty, our GitLab service allows external users as well. Unlike our Subversion web application, GitLab does not provide a way of creating external accounts by users without the 'administrator' role. If you wish to add external users to your GitLab project, please send a request to , mentioning the following details:
- Desired login name - We'll prefix it with an underscore by means of avoiding collisions with our existing and future Science logins.
- Full name - This is how you'll find the user in the GitLab system. For example, when adding the account to your project.
- Mail address. GitLab will use this mail address to send an automatically generated mail with instructions to set a password.
As soon as Postmaster created the account, you should be able to add the external login as a member your project. We're not yet sure wather external users should have the option to create projects, so the project limit for external users are set to 0 initially. Depending on the kind of work flow (gitlab merge requests, etc), it might be necessary to give external users the option to create one or more projects.
Ideally, postmaster should not be 'in the loop' and users with a Science login should be able to create external user accounts themselves, however there seems to be a bug in the GitLab API that prevents us from setting this up in.
Migrating from Subversion
Inspired by this short manual, an SVN to git conversion could boil down to something like:
cd /tmp/ git svn clone --no-metadata -A users.txt https://svn.science.ru.nl/repos/myproject cd myproject git remote add gitlab :scienceloginname/myproject.git git push --set-upstream gitlab master
Git URLs (https and ssh) are shown on the top of the project page in gitlab. The generic repository URL for the science SVN server is:
You can also see this for public svn repositories on https://svn.science.ru.nl (viewing private repositories requires authentication).