The Radboud University uses a concern-application BASS-finlog. This document explains how FNWI staff-members can use it.
- 1 Login details and authorization
- 2 Preparing your PC
- 3 Connecting
- 4 FAQ - Frequently asked questions
- 4.1 Who can answer my questions about BASS-finlog?
- 4.2 I don't have a BASS password, how can I set it?
- 4.3 Where can I find the 'hosts'-file on my computer?
- 4.4 I can't manage to get BASS running on my PC, are there any alternatives?
- 4.5 Technisch: Welke subnetten hebben 'direkte' toegang tot BASS?
- 4.6 Technical: Wich subnets have direct access to BASS?
- 4.7 Na het kiezen van BASS - RU Productie, krijg ik wel een Port Forwarder scherm, maar geen nieuw browser window
- 4.8 After choosing the BASS - RU Productie option, the Port Forwarder window is shown, but the new browser window isn't
To place orders or approve them, one needs:
- a U-number (personnel number). This can be requested from P&O. The corresponding RU-password can be (re)set by C&CZ.
- a budget number (Dutch: kostenplaats). This can be requested from P&C of the Financial Department
- autorisation in BASS/FinLog/Oracle, to be requested from
To order chemicals, one needs to use Tracelab.
The use of this web application requires configuration changes of your computer. The configuration change depends on your network settings, see next step.
This document describes how to use BASS from Windows XP .
Preparing your PC
BASS requires a recent version of the JAVA JRE to be installed on the PC. All C&CZ managed PC's have this installed
In order to allow BASS to function correctly, it's essential that the so called host file on your system is configured correctly. The location of the host file on windows systems is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.
At the FAQ section at the bottom of the page, you'll find the location of the host file for other operating systems.
The block below shows the IP-address of your computer and the exact contents of what should be in the hosts file. Be sure that it matches the contents of the host-file on your computer. Please contact C&CZ to help you to accomplish this.
*Important* Sooner or later, all network-segments will be behind the firewall of the RU. You might encounter login problems with BASS. In that case, please have a look at this page again. The section above will always show the current situation for your PC
Now that your PC is configured, lets connect to BASS. There are 3 steps to get in:
Step 1: https://admin.ru.nl
Login on the gateway to BASS:
Please use your U-number and password. This is the same password you need to access http://www.radboudnet.nl.
Step 2: BASS - RU Productie
Select "BASS - RU Productie".
Step 3: Login again
At this point you'll see a new browser windows titled "Welkom op BASS Release 12". Login with your U-number and your BASS password. If you don't have a BASS password, have a look at the 'Frequently asked questions' at the bottom of this page. If your PC is not behind the RU firewall, there will be a thirth screen popping up, labeled "Forwarder".
FAQ - Frequently asked questions
These questions and answers apply to the use of BASS from within FNWI. There's also an official BASS FAQ
Who can answer my questions about BASS-finlog?
The website of the CIF/CFA shows the contact details of the BASS helpdesk.
I don't have a BASS password, how can I set it?
The password that is asked for in step 2 differs from your U-number password. Since the Oracle based system doesn't make use of the central RU authentication, you do have to login again. To set it, you should know that the initial password is set for you. It is your birthdate in the following format DDMMYYY (ie. 25091976). After logging in with this temporary password, you'll be asked to change it.
Where can I find the 'hosts'-file on my computer?
The location of the hosts file depends on the operating system:
|Operating system||Path of the hosts file|
|Windows, 32 bits||%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc|
|Windows, 64 bit||%systemroot%\SysWOW64\drivers\etc|
I can't manage to get BASS running on my PC, are there any alternatives?
Technisch: Welke subnetten hebben 'direkte' toegang tot BASS?
Hieronder zie je het actuele overzicht van de vlans die achter de RU-firewall zitten en die binnen BASS ingesteld zijn voor direkte toegang: [/nl]
Technical: Wich subnets have direct access to BASS?
This is an overview of the vlans that are behind the RU-firewall and from which BASS allows a direct connection:
In order to use BASS-Finlog one needs to have a PC with MS Windows-XP. People with a different Operating System can probably use our Windows Terminal Server as an in-between. First send mail to requesting permission to log in to the Windows Terminal Server (ts2), mentioning your Science loginname.
- For Unix/Linux/Mac: enter on your own computer the command: rdesktop ts2.nwi.ru.nl (remote desktop on terminalserver1). There is a well known problem using rdesktop, here a work-around
- For Windows: Click Start->Run and type mstsc (for MS TerminalServer Client). Fill in as Computer name ts2.nwi.ru.nl and click on Connect.
Give in the login-window your science loginname and password.
Click OK in the error message "Run-time Error '429': ActiveX component can't create object".
Double-click the BASS-icon and continue as if you are working on an PC with MS Windows XP.
Do not forget to log out when you are ready, in order not to overload TS2.
After choosing the BASS - RU Productie option, the Port Forwarder window is shown, but the new browser window isn't
In that case, open the following link in a new browser window:
- Because BASS is essentially a Java application running from a browser it should function just as well from platforms such as Macs and Linux systems, as well as on Windows 7. In many cases this proves to be true. If it works for you, be happy with it, but if it doesn't please remember that formally the BASS (Oracle) concern applications are supported only on some Windows platforms.