- 1 Computer & Communication Department (C&CZ)
- 2 Help and information
- 3 IT introduction for new students
- 4 Science loginname and student number
- 5 Student portal
- 6 E-mail
- 7 PC's and network (including wireless and VPN)
- 8 Software, for home use too
- 9 Print, copy and scan
- 10 Network discs and backups
- 11 Telephony and phone/mail/address-directories
Computer & Communication Department (C&CZ)
Help and information
- Entry point for questions, problems and repairs.
IT introduction for new students
This is the presentation for new students as given in the introduction week:
Science loginname and student number
- Twee logins: Information for new students and employees
- The Do It Yourself site to view and change settings of your Science login: password, mail (forward, vacation message, mail address lists), printbudget, groups, ...
Many RU IT applications can be easily accessed through the RU Student portal (in Dutch), which makes it unnecessary to memorize a lot of URL's.
- All @student.ru.nl mailboxes live in the RU mail environment Exchange. For new students of the Faculty of Science, mail sent to @student.science.ru.nl Science E-mail is automatically forwarded, because we do not want to bother new students with a faculty mailbox next to the university mailbox. Because the @student.ru.nl address of a lot of students is unknown at the start of the study, mail is in that case originally forwarded to the mail address that was registered in Studielink. At the end of September the forward is changed to the @student.ru.nl address. If one wants to receive this mail at a different address, one should visit the Do It Yourself website.
PC's and network (including wireless and VPN)
- PC labs and study area with dual-boot Windows / Linux (Ubuntu) PC's.
- Your own laptop/tablet/..., connected to the Internet through the wireless network or with a UTP cable in a network outlet.
- If on campus a PC lists B-FAC as a possible login domain, then one can login with the Science account. Examples are the PC's for all RU-students.
- Also a PC at home or somewhere else on the Internet can be used. To get access to services to which only PC's of the Science faculty can connect, it might be necessary to use the FNWI VPN-server.
Software, for home use too
The software page contains all info known to us about available software. For all kind of software, Radboud University of the Faculty of Science holds a license contract that makes use of this software free or cheap for employees and/or students, on campus and/or home PC's. Rights of use differ for different software. Most popular is the F-Secure security suite, that can be used freely by employees and students, for home use too. Second place is for Microsoft Windows upgrade and Office, that may be installed/used freely on RU-owned PC's and can be bought cheaply for home use.
Print, copy and scan
Throughout the Faculty of Science there are printers that can be used by everybody. These printers are maintained by the ISC and use the system Peage. These are Konica Minolta Bizhub multifunctionals which are also used as copiers and color scanners.
C&CZ has a few specialty printers (A0 poster, 3D), that use the C&CZ printbudget system. The A0 poster printer kamerbreed poster printer prints posters and such on high quality photo paper, canvas or adhesive paper.
Network discs and backups
C&CZ provides network discs and regularly makes backups of the data. There is a restore procedure to get lost files back. If you save files in other locations, like the hard disc of your own PC, then you are responsible yourself for the backup of these data.
- On the U:-disk that is attached automatically on the Windows PC's in computer labs, one can store 5 GB of data. Other PCs can attach this disk as \\homeserver\loginname. This is the same folder as the Unix home-directory. Use the site DHZ to lookup your homeserver.
- Apart from the U:-disk C&CZ-managed pc's also use a roaming profile for which a separate quotum holds of 150 Mb.
Telephony and phone/mail/address-directories
Phone contact persons, usually the secretary, of Science departments can change entries in the Science phone guide for their department themselves. One can view online the phone and mail guides of the Science faculty, Radboud University and Radboudumc.
There is more info on telephony.
Pages in category "Studenten"
The following 17 pages are in this category, out of 17 total.