The mail servie
- Mailberichten met verschillende email-clients (mailprogramma's) (tegelijk) kunnen lezen en versturen.
- Vanuit het hele internet is toegang tot alle mail mogelijk.
- Ook kan vanuit het hele internet mail aangeleverd worden om te versturen, mits geauthenticeerd.
- Op elk mailbericht wordt bij binnenkomst een eenvoudig, maar effectief antivirus- en antispam-filter toegepast.
- Mailboxen kunnen tussen gebruikers gedeeld worden. Dit kan eenvoudig ingesteld worden in de webmailers (via Horde webmail onder "Opties->Share Folder") en in verschillende moderne mailprogramm's (zoals Kmail).
- Ook (zelf zelfverzonnen) labels voor mail kunnen met andere gebruikers gedeeld worden.
- Met behulp van Sieve kunnen mailberichten bij binnenkomst op de mail-opslag server gefilterd worden.
From anywhere on the Internet one can use a browser like Mozilla or Internet Explorer for reading mail. There are two (independant) websites available:
a webmail application who resembles the old webmail service.
is a completely different and popular webmail application. Using these two webmail applications one can read mail on the mail servers maintained by C&CZ (and others, like CMBI or UCI).
If you don't know what "server' on the main page to choose, because you don't know where your email will be delivered, you can lookup your mailserver at the site Do It Yourself. Often this will be the new post.science.ru.nl. For some users this (still) is the old pop.science.ru.nl (also known as wn1). This old server will eventually be retired. We advise everyone to migrate to the new server. To do this please contact your department contact or contact C&CZ directly.
Configuring an email client
How to configure a specific email program:
- Setting up an emailaccount with Thunderbird and frequently asked questions [Video show/hide]
- Setting up an emailaccount with Outlook and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Eudora and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Pine
The imap-server post.science.ru.nl provides a lot of features:
- accesss to all your email from anywhere on the Internet, including read emails and emails filed in seperate folders.
- reading the same mail with several email-clients at the same time.
- it is possible to share emailboxes with other users. This can easily be done with Horde webmail with "Options->Share Folder", or with a Kmail client. It is also possible to share tags for mail, even those you've made up yourself, with other users.
- On this mailserver it is possible to filter mail with Sieve on delivery. On the old server you needed to do this with a .procmailrc.
It is possible to have automatic reply messages sent when one is not reading mail.
Spam and virus filter
A simple but effective antivirus and [email_spam_|antispam]] filter is applied on every mailmessage when accepting the message.
It is possible to authenticate to the mail server with your login name and password. If you use authentication, the mail server will never refuse mail with the error "Relaying denied". So it is possible to use our mail servers from outside FNWI. Without authentication you have to use the SMTP server of your Internet provider to prevent this error. If you own a laptop, you can always use the mail servers of FNWI, both at work and at home, providing you authenticate. The configuration of authenticated smtp for several mail clients is described.
There are simple lists of mail addresses possible, which can be requested through Postmaster and after that maintained by the owners themselves through The Do-It-Yourself website, but there are also highly configurable and moderatable There are mailman mailing lists, e.g. the list of FNWI-employees or the list of FNWI-students. Usually one can add oneself to or remove oneself from such a mailman mailing list. Every mailman mailing list has a moderator, who can approve or reject messages to the mailman mailing list. For mailman list admins: To filter spam one can choose in the "Privacy options..." under "Spam filters" as "Spam filter regexp:"
and check the radio button "Discard" and hit "Submit Your Changes" on the bottom of the web page.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Thunderbird (2 P)