From anywhere on the Internet one can use a browser like Mozilla or Internet Explorer for reading mail. There are two (independant) websites available:
a webmail application who resembles the old webmail service.
is a completely different and popular webmail application. Using these two webmail applications one can read mail on the mail servers maintained by C&CZ (and others, like CMBI or UCI).
If you don't know what "server' on the main page to choose, because you don't know where your email will be delivered, you can lookup your mailserver at the site Do It Yourself. Often this will be the new post.science.ru.nl. For other users this (still) is the old pop.science.ru.nl. This old server will eventually be retired. If you want to migrate to the new server, please contact your eerstelijns ondersteuner or contact C&CZ directly.
Configuring email client
There are examples showing how to configure your email program.
- Setting up an emailaccount with Thunderbird and frequently asked questions [Video show/hide]
- Setting up an emailaccount with Outlook and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Eudora and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Pine
The new imap-server post.science.ru.nl provides a lot of new features:
- accesss to all your email from anywhere on the Internet, including read emails and emails filed in seperate folders.
- reading the same mail with several email-clients at the same time.
- it is possible to share emailboxes with other users.
- On this mailserver it is possible to filter mail with Sieve on delivery. On the old server you needed to do this with a .procmailrc.
On the mail servers maintained by C&CZ a simple but reasonably effective antivirus filter is applied upon local delivery of a mail message. More information on the internals and the configurable user preferences is available.
Since juli 2002 the C&CZ mail servers filter unsolicited mail ('spam'). More information on the internals and the configurable user preferences is available.
It is possible to have automatic reply messages sent when one is not reading mail.
It is possible to authenticate to the mail server with your login name and password. If you use authentication, the mail server will never refuse mail with the error "Relaying denied". So it is possible to use our mail servers from outside FNWI. Without authentication you have to use the SMTP server of your Internet provider to prevent this error. If you own a laptop, you can always use the mail servers of FNWI, both at work and at home, providing you authenticate. The configuration of authenticated smtp for several mail clients is described.
There are several mailing lists, e.g. the list of FNWI-employees or the list of FNWI-students. Usually one can add oneself to or remove oneself from such a mailing list. Every list has a moderator, who can approve or reject messages to the list. For list admins: To filter spam one can choose in the "Privacy options:" under "Spam filters" as a Rule: "X-Spam-Score:.*\*\*\*\*\*" and check the radio button "Discard" and hit "Submit changes" on the bottom of the web page.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Thunderbird (2 P)