The mail servie
- Mailmessages can be read and send with different email clients (at the same time).
- Acces to all your mail is possible from all over the internet.
- When authenticated, messages are accepted (and forwarded) from all over the internet.
- It is possible to automatically send a vacation message, to configure via the DHZ website.
- Mail forwarding can be configured also at the DHZ website.
- Every mail message is processed at acceptance by a simple, but effective antivirus- en antispam- filter.
- Mailbox sharing between users is possible. This can easily be configured in the webmailers Horde webmail at "Options->Share Folder", or with modern email clients (like Kmail).
- Also it is possible to share tags for mail, even those you've made up yourself, with other users.
- With Sieve mail messages can be filtered on delivery at the mail storage server.
- Several central mailing lists are available.
- An address book for the FNWI is available.
One can use a browser like Mozilla or Internet Explorer for reading mail. There are two (independant) websites available:
a webmail application who resembles the old webmail service.
is a completely different and popular webmail application.
Using these two webmail applications one can read mail on the mail servers maintained by C&CZ (and others, like CMBI or UCI).
Default configuration choises for a mail client are:
* To read mail the preferred protocol is IMAP. The POP protocol can still be used, but not all messages will be found. * Using IMAP encryption via SSL or TLS is mandatory! For POP one has to use SSL encryption! * The server for reading email is the post.science.ru.nl. You will need your FNWI loginname and password. * The server for sending emails is the smtp.science.ru.nl. You do not need a loginname or password if used from the Huygens building. Outside the Huygens building you will need your loginname and password and encryption via TLS is mandatory. More info can be read at Authenticated SMTP. * For sending email one can often choose a port number. Choose port 587 (instead of poort 25), and messages will not be filtered! Sending mail will be faster, but also it will be possible to attach .zip or .exe files. Authentication is mandatory now! * The LDAP addressbook server is ldap1.science.ru.nl with DN: o=addressbook.
How to configure a specific email program:
- Setting up an emailaccount with Thunderbird and frequently asked questions [Video show/hide]
- Setting up an emailaccount with Outlook and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Eudora and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Pine
There are simple lists of mail addresses possible, which can be requested through Postmaster and after that maintained by the owners themselves through The Do-It-Yourself website, but there are also highly configurable and moderatable There are mailman mailing lists, e.g. the list of FNWI-employees or the list of FNWI-students. Usually one can add oneself to or remove oneself from such a mailman mailing list. Every mailman mailing list has a moderator, who can approve or reject messages to the mailman mailing list. For mailman list admins: To filter spam one can choose in the "Privacy options..." under "Spam filters" as "Spam filter regexp:"
and check the radio button "Discard" and hit "Submit Your Changes" on the bottom of the web page.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Thunderbird (2 P)