The mail service
- Mailmessages can be read and send with different email clients (at the same time).
- Acces to all your mail is possible from all over the internet.
- When authenticated, messages are accepted (and forwarded) from all over the internet.
- It is possible to automatically send a vacation message, this can be configured via the DIY website.
- Mail forwarding can be configured also at the DIY website.
- Every mail message is processed at acceptance by a simple, but effective antivirus- en antispam- filter.
- Mailbox folder sharing between users is possible. This can easily be configured in Roundcube webmail via the Gear-icon in the bottom left corner, "Manage Folders" and double clicking on a mail folder, or with an email client like Kmail. The user that is allowed to use a folder, usually needs to subscribe to the folder.
- It is also possible to share tags for mail, even those you've made up yourself, with other users.
- With Sieve mail messages can be filtered on delivery at the mail storage server. These filter settings can be managed in Roundcube webmail with Settings -> Filters.
- Several sorts of mailing lists are available.
- An address book for the FNWI is available.
One can use a browser like Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer for reading mail. There are two (independent) websites available:
a full-fledged modern webmail application, based on Roundcube.
an old webmail application.
Using these two webmail applications one can read mail on the mail servers maintained by C&CZ (and others, like ISC).
Default configuration choises for a mail client are:
- To read mail the preferred protocol is IMAP. The POP protocol can still be used, but not all messages will be found.
- Using IMAP encryption via SSL or TLS is mandatory! For POP one has to use SSL encryption!
- The server for reading email is the post.science.ru.nl. You will need your FNWI loginname and password.
- The server for sending emails is the smtp.science.ru.nl. You do not need a loginname or password if used from the Huygens building. Outside the Huygens building you will need your loginname and password and encryption via TLS is mandatory. More info can be read at Authenticated SMTP.
- For sending email one can often choose a port number. Choose port 587 (instead of poort 25), and messages will not be filtered! Sending mail will be faster, but also it will be possible to attach .zip or .exe files. Authentication is mandatory now!
- The LDAP addressbook server is ldap1.science.ru.nl with DN: o=addressbook.
How to configure a specific email program:
- Setting up an emailaccount with Thunderbird and frequently asked questions [Video show/hide]
- Setting up an emailaccount with Outlook and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Eudora and frequently asked questions
- Setting up an emailaccount with Pine
There are simple lists of mail addresses possible, which can be requested through Postmaster and after that maintained by the owners themselves through The Do-It-Yourself website, but there are also highly configurable and moderatable mailman mailing lists, e.g. the list of FNWI-employees or the list of FNWI-students. Usually one can add oneself to or remove oneself from such a mailman mailing list. Every mailman mailing list has a moderator, who can approve or reject messages to the mailman mailing list. For mailman list admins: To filter spam one can choose in the "Privacy options..." under "Spam filters" as "Spam filter regexp:"
and check the radio button "Discard" and hit "Submit Your Changes" on the bottom of the web page.
Moreover it is advisable to accept only messages from members (moderated or unmoderated) and a specified list of addresses to accept and discard all other messages.This makes life for the moderator a lot easier. You can achieve this by clicking on "Privacy Options ..." subsequently click on "Sender filters" and then for "Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action is defined." choose "Discard" (Negeren in dutch interface) and a bit further down "Should messages from non-members, which are automatically discarded, be forwarded to the list moderator?" choose "No" and finally click on "Submit Your Changes".
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Thunderbird (2 P)