PPTP VPN is now turned off!
as of december 1st, pptp vpn is no longer available.
OLD: Configuring a PPTP VPN connection in OS X
Information on the new Science VPN can be found elsewhere on this wiki, below you only find how to configure and setup a VPN connection to the **OLD** Science VPN server on a Mac running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). In OS X 10.5 (Leopard) the procedure is practically the same. In OS X 10.4 (Tiger) a separate VPN application in the Applications folder is used.
- Open System Preferences;
- Choose "Network" configuration;
- Click on the + in the lower left corner to define a new interface;
- Choose Interface: VPN, VPN Type: PPTP;
- Choose a suitable name for the new interface, e.g. "Science VPN";
- Press Create to return to the Network Preferences pane;
- A new VPN interface is added to the list on the left, select it;
- Specify the VPN server name: vpn.science.ru.nl;
- Enter your Science login name;
- Select "Show VPN status in menu bar";
- Press Apply to save the changes;
- Connect VPN from the VPN icon in the top menu bar;
- Enter your password in the authentication pop-up;
- The Network Preferences pane will show the connected status.
Possible causes for the VPN connection to fail:
- The Internet-connection is not available, check if you can browse the Internet.
- The VPN connection was not properly configured, verify all configuration parameters.
- The Science login name and password combination is not valid, try to login on dhz.science.ru.nl to verify.
- The VPN server is tempoprarily unavailable, ask C&CZ.
- Your Internet provider does not allow GRE traffic (unlikely).
- Your broadband router does not support GRE traffic (unlikely).